Program on Private Law
The University of Notre Dame's Main Building.
Director: Paul B. Miller
Under the direction of Professor Paul B. Miller, the Program on Private Law supports and enhances the scholarship of Notre Dame faculty working in private law, as well as the many collaborative initiatives that Miller and others have undertaken in the field.
Bolstered by several recent hires in private law, Notre Dame Law School now boasts one of the strongest programs in private law in the country. The Program on Private Law capitalizes on this momentum, and also helps to raise the profile of the many important achievements and activities undertaken by Notre Dame Law scholars in this area.
The program extends the impact of the excellent research being done by Notre Dame Law faculty, and it benefits students by helping the Law School to widen its private law course offerings and by supporting student involvement in faculty research projects.
Click on the buttons below to read about the program's faculty fellows and their recent scholarship, as well as the program's workshop.
- North American Workshop on Private Law Theory (NAWPLT) VIII, co-organized by Professor Paul Miller and others, Brooklyn Law School, Brooklyn, NY, November 2020 (virtual workshop)
- Fiduciary Law Workshop (FLW) VIII, co-organized by Professor Paul Miller, Professor Julian Velasco and others, Brooklyn Law School, Brooklyn, NY, TBD Summer 2021
- Workshop for Oxford Studies in Private Law Theory, Vol. II, co-organized by Professor Paul Miller in collaboration with Professor John Oberdiek, and hosted by Professor James E. Penner, National University of Singapore, August 2021
- The Equity Workshop II, co-organized by Professor Paul Miller, Professor Samuel Bray, in collaboration with Professors Larissa Katz and Irit Samet, University of Toronto Faculty of Law, Toronto, ON, Canada, TBD Fall 2021
- Interstitial Private Law, co-organized by Professor Samuel Bray and Professor Paul Miller, in collaboration with Professors John Goldberg and Henry Smith of the Harvard Project on the Foundations of Private Law, University of Notre Dame Rome Global Gateway, Rome, Italy, November 2021
Why Controlling Shareholders Are Not Fiduciaries (authored by Paul Miller), Columbia Law School Blue Sky Blog, March 9, 2020
Corporations Do Matter in Private Law Theory (co-authored by Paul Miller), Oxford Business Law Blog, December 20, 2019
The Rise of Fiduciary Law as a Field of Study (co-authored by Paul Miller), Columbia Law School Blue Sky Blog, October 3, 2019
ND Program on Private Law launches new series on private law theory, September 25, 2019
ND Law School makes its mark on the study of fiduciary law, April 22, 2019
Professor Paul Miller to edit new book series for Oxford University Press, November 21, 2018
ND Law School launches new Program on Private Law, November 7, 2018
Judges Shouldn't Have the Power to Halt Laws Nationwide, by Samuel L. Bray for The Atlantic, October 31, 2018