Eligibility to Study at Notre Dame Law School
In order to study at the Law School as an exchange student, an interested student’s home institution must have an existing exchange agreement with Notre Dame Law School. The Law School has existing exchange program agreements with the following institutions:
- Bocconi University in Milan, Italy
- Catholic University of Chile in Santiago, Chile
- Peking University in Beijing, China
- Tsinghua University in Beijing, China
- Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland
- University of Lucerne in Lucerne, Switzerland
Admission to Notre Dame Law School as an Exchange Student
Once an interested student has been nominated by their home institution for participation in an exchange program with the Law School, the Notre Dame Law School Admissions Office will contact the nominated student to gather basic admissions information. The nominated student will be asked to provide the following:
- A TOEFL (preferred) or IELTS exam score report (Trinity College students exempted)
- Letter of Good Academic Standing from the nominating institution
- Minimum of 1 Letter of Recommendation from a current teacher, professor, or instructor (not the nominating official)
- A one-page statement expressing the nominated student’s specific interest in attending Notre Dame Law School
Student Visa Application Processing
Once a nominated exchange student has been admitted by the Notre Dame Law School Admissions Office, the Admissions Office will begin assisting the student with obtaining their student visa. To process an admitted exchange student’s Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status via the DS-2019 form, the student will be asked to submit the following:
- A completed International Exchange Student Information Form provided by the NDLS Admissions Office
- Photocopy (not a photograph, electronic or otherwise) of the student’s passport photo page
- Proof of financial support demonstrating the student’s ability to pay for room and board, books and supplies, and personal expenses including transportation costs for the duration of their academic program at the Law School
Proof of financial support for the participating student, whether they intend to support themselves or they will have the financial support of a third-party, may come in the form of bank statement(s), a letter from a bank, or a letter and a bank statement from a person or organization that will be providing the student’s financial support. Financial documentation must be in English, or come with an official translation. If the student will have a third-party sponsor (including parents or other family members), the financial documentation must include a letter from the sponsor indicating the exact amount of support that will be provided.
After receiving the above information from an admitted exchange student, the Admissions Office will submit the same, with the exchange student’s admission letter, to Notre Dame’s International Student and Scholar Affairs Office to be processed. After ISSA provides the Law School Admission Office with the admitted exchange student’s visa application, the Admissions Office will mail the visa application, the student’s admission letter, and an NDLS Insider’s Guide to the exchange student’s desired address.
NOTE: NDLS Admissions Office personnel will be directly involved and will be in continuous communication with exchange students to ensure timely completion of the student’s visa request.
Housing for Exchange Students
Admitted exchange students will be eligible to request on-campus graduate student housing in Fischer Graduate Residences. As space may be limited, especially for exchange students arriving for the spring term, it is recommended that exchange students submit the admission application materials listed above in a timely matter. Quick responses and cooperation with the Law School Admissions Office will help ensure on-campus housing is available. Exchange students desiring to live off-campus will find a range of options immediately off-campus and within walking or biking distance.
Points of Contact for Exchange Students