Breakfast and Welcoming Remarks - 9-10 a.m.:
- Prof.Jimmy Gurulé, Director, Notre Dame Exoneration Justice Clinic
- Corey Bopp, JLEG Executive Symposium Editor
Police & Prosecutorial Misconduct - 10:15-11:15 a.m.:
The "Police and Prosecutorial Misconduct" panel will consider the role that police and prosecutorial misconduct plays in wrongful conviction cases and discuss legislative and other reform efforts aimed at preventing and/or punishing such misconduct.
- Prof. Stephen A. Smith, Notre Dame Law School
- Nicole Battle, Vera Institute of Justice
- Prof. Frances Watson, Indiana University McKinney School of Law
False Confessions - 11:20 a.m.-12:20 p.m.:
The "False Confessions" panel will discuss the problem of false confessions—including why an innocent defendant would falsely confess to a crime they did not commit—and legislative reforms aimed at preventing false confessions.
- Prof. Richard A. Leo, Ph.D., University of San Francisco School of Law
- Prof. Laura H. Nirider, Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law
- Prof. Steven A. Drizin, Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law
Keynote Address - 12:20-1 p.m.:
Speaker: Indiana House Representative Greg Steuerwald will speak on Indiana's progress toward criminal justice reform.
Eyewitness Misidentification - 1-2 p.m.:
The "Eyewitness Misidentification" panel will discuss the prevalence of eyewitness misidentification in wrongful conviction cases and necessary reforms, analyzed from research and policy perspectives.
- Prof. Kimberly McClure, Ph.D., Western Illinois University
- Rebecca Brown, Innocence Project
A Conversation with Exonerees 2-3 p.m.:
In "A Conversation with Exonerees," exonerees will tell the stories of their wrongful conviction and discuss legislative reform efforts by exonerees themselves.
- Kristine Bunch
- Dave Camm
- Patrick Pursley
This event is co-sponsored by the Exoneration Justice Clinic.