Professional Specialist Emeritus
Office: Suffolk Street, London, London SW1Y 4HG England
Phone: 011 44 20 7484 7822
Staff Assistant: email@example.com
Geoffrey Bennett joined the Notre Dame London Law Program as an adjunct associate professor of law in 1992 and served as the program's director from 1995 to his retirement in 2016. He earned his B.A. from Cambridge University (England) in 1974, and became a barrister in 1975. He has lectured in law at both the University of Liverpool (England) (1976-80) and the University of Leeds (England) (1981-90), held a visiting professorship at the University of Louisville (Kentucky) (1983-84, 1987-88), and served as senior lecturer (1990-94) and reader (1994-95) in law at City University (London, England). Bennett's areas of academic interest include cultural property, criminal procedure, the law of education, contract law, and comparative law.
- Davies on Contract, with R. Upex, Sweet & Maxwell, London, 9th ed. 2004.
- "A" Level Law, with others (Sweet and Maxwell (London) 1983; 2d ed. 1988; 3d ed. 1992; 4th ed. 1996).
- Evidence and Ossification, in City University Centenary Lectures in Law 47 (M. Dockray ed., Blackstone Press (London) 1996).
- Theft, Treasure and heritage, The Magistrate, Vol. 72, No. 2, pp. 2-3, 2016.
- Sentencing Guidelines; Theft Act offences; heritage assets,  Criminal Law Review, pp. 274-274.
- Criminal Procedure & Sentencing, All England Law Reports Annual Review of 2012, pp. 158-175, 2013.
- Criminal Procedure & Sentencing, All England Law Reports Annual Review of 2011, pp. 149-168, 2012.
- Criminal Procedure & Sentencing, All England Law Reports Annual Review of 2010, pp. 156-175, 2011.
- Criminal Procedure & Sentencing, All England Law Reports Annual Review of 2009, pp. 157-177, 2010.
- Criminal Procedure & Sentencing, All England Law Reports Annual Review of 2008, pp. 150-170, 2009.
- Criminal Procedure & Sentencing, All England Law Reports Annual Review of 2008, pp 150-170, 2009.
- Legislative Responses to Terrorism, A View from Great Britain, 109 Penn State Law Review 947- 966 (2005).
- Wrongful Conviction, Lawyer Incompetence and English Law â€“ some Recent Themes, 42 Brandeis Law Journal 189-205 (2003-04)
- Criminal Procedure & Sentencing, All England Law Reports Annual Review of 2006, 159 (2007); annual contributions since 1982.
- Is the New York Times "Actual Malice" Standard Really Necessary? A Comparative Perspective, with R. Weaver, 53 Louisiana Law Review 1153 (1993).
- Legislative Responses to Terrorism: A View From Britain, 109 Penn State Law Review 947 (2005).
- The Northern Ireland Broadcasting Ban: Some Reflections on Judicial Review, with R. Weaver, 22 Vanderbilt Journal of Transnational Law 1119 (1990).
- Conservation, Control and Heritage -€” Public Law and Portable Antiquities, with C. Brand, 12 Anglo-American Law Review 141 (1984).
Areas of Expertise
- Art Law