Commencement Information 2015
- 2015 Notre Dame Law School Distinguished Professor Response by Anthony J. Bellia Jr.
- Commencement Weekend Schedule of Events
- Instructions for the Prayer Service
- Instruction for the Hooding/Diploma Ceremony
- Professor Anthony J. Bellia Jr. to Deliver Notre Dame Law School Commencement Address
- Notre Dame Law School Prize Day – Friday, May 15
May 14, 2015
Also, remember the photographer will take Family and Friends photographs in room 2130 and 2133 from 2-4:30pm tomorrow. All are welcome.
May 13, 2015
We have heard from Trish in the bookstore that she will have someone available to distribute caps and gowns until 9pm on Thursday.
The photographer for Friday’s award ceremony and the Family and Friends photographs will be Kingshots.com. I’ll forward a brochure to you. The photographs will take place immediately following the awards ceremony and will be in rooms 2130 and 2133 Eck Hall from 2-4:30pm on Friday.
Academic attire is not required for the Prize Day ceremony. You are welcome to bring your academic gown for the Family and Friends photographs.
Saturday’s diploma ceremony photographer will be GradImages. A coupon for a $5 discount may be found on the window sill in Eck Commons.
If there is any change in the location for the diploma ceremony due to weather concerns, we will email you Saturday morning at 10am. Please watch your email on Saturday morning if the weather looks questionable.
I will be emailing you instructions for the prayer service and hooding ceremony.
May 12, 2015
Here is the schedule for cap and gown distribution at the bookstore. They will not be available prior to these dates:
Distribution of rental gowns will be on Thursday and Friday, May 14 and 15 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the Hammes Notre Dame Bookstore. If you will not be on campus until the weekend, they are also available May 16 (8 a.m. – 9 p.m.) and May 17 (7 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.)
Return your rental gown after the ceremony to the Hammes Notre Dame Bookstore on Sunday, May 17 (7 a.m. to 7 p.m.) or Monday, May 18 – Wednesday, May 20 (8 a.m. – 9 p.m.). Late fees will be assessed for gowns not returned by the deadline.
April 21, 2015
Dear students, those of you who have ordered graduation brunch tickets may pay for them (via check; no credit cards) this Thursday and Friday, April 23 and 24. Prayer service tickets will be available at that time also.
The price has settled at $8.00 per brunch ticket. If you don’t have a checking account, you may either bring a cashier’s check or the exact amount of cash.
Please be sure to complete your survey from CDO prior to coming to pick up your tickets.
April 17, 2015
Student Doctoral Academic Attire Rentals can be made at the bookstore or by contacting Trish Aschenbrenner at email@example.com, or by calling 574-631-1399. Deadline for rentals is April 17, 2015.
March 26, 2015
1. Graduating students’ ID cards will expire soon after graduation. If you are going to be studying for the Bar in the Law School this summer, please legibly sign the sheet on the counter in Suite 1100 by April 15 per the locksmith’s request. The locksmith has agreed to activate the cards for summer access to the Law School of those who respond by April 15. Keep in mind that the locksmith needs to be able to read your signature! ;)
2. Leave the forms to be completed by the Law School with me now, and no later than April 15, so that those forms may be completed and signed in a timely manner once you graduate. Students whose bar forms are submitted by April 15 will be assured that their forms will be given priority. Late forms submitted to me after the deadline will not have the guarantee of timely completion.
3. Thank you to those of you who have completed the 3L survey! You others, please complete ASAP! Last year, only one person did not complete the survey. Let’s beat that record!
4. Student Doctoral Academic Attire Rentals can be made at the bookstore or by contacting Trish Aschenbrenner firstname.lastname@example.org, or by calling 574-631-1399. Deadline for rentals is April 17, 2015.
Thank you for your attention to these matters,
Law School Registrar
March 19, 2015
Reminders about University Registrar’s items for Commencement:
Please complete the Graduation Application to request your number of guest tickets no later than Thursday, March 19, 2015. If any of your guests has a physical restriction and requires special seating, please indicate this information in detail. You can return to the Graduation Application to adjust your guest tickets anytime before the March 19 deadline. (If you are an August 2014 or January 2015 graduate please go to your instructions at the August and January Action Items web page) .
DIPLOMA NAME & COMMENCEMENT PROGRAM CHANGES
Verify your diploma name and hometown as they should appear in the Commencement Program and your diploma name as it will appear on your diploma in your Graduation Application. If there is no hometown listed, we will use the city, state, and nation of your current home address.
If you need to change your graduation information after the deadline, please email Commencement@nd.edu. The request must be made no later than Thursday, March 19, or a $65 diploma reorder fee will be assessed.
Doctoral Rental Gowns
You may order your regalia at NDcatalog.com. Orders must be placed by April 24. Late fees will be assessed after that date and there will be limited availability.
Student doctor rentals can be made at the bookstore or by contacting
Trish Aschenbrenner at email@example.com or by calling 574-631-1399.
Deadline for rentals is April 17, 2015.
March 18, 2015
Law graduates: both LLM and JD candidates should order the doctoral/gown/hood.
ATTEND THE GRADUATION FAIR
March 18, 2015 — 9:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Notre Dame Hammes Bookstore
Everything you need for graduation…all in one place!
Purchase or rent your cap and gown
Bachelor Unit (gown, cap, and tassel) – $34.00
Master Unit (gown, hood, cap and tassel) – $63.00
*Doctoral Rental Unit – (gown, hood, tam and souvenir tassel) – $125.00
Order graduation announcements
Have a professional or cap and gown portrait taken
Have your gown pressed for the big day
Senior Week information
Learn how the Notre Dame family lives on after graduation
Guest with special needs? We will have information for you
Return those library books and check for unpaid fees
Visit Financial Aid representatives for information about your student loans
Booths from the Alumni Association, Career Center, and more will answer questions and provide crucial information. Vendors for regalia, class rings, photography, and others will also be on hand to ensure a successful graduation experience. The Office of the Registrar staff will answer all of your graduation questions.
Prizes: Fill out your GradFair Passport to enter into drawings: One free Master and one free undergraduate cap & gown, two Stoles of Gratitude, two DVD’s for the May 2015 University Ceremony, two $25 Laundry gift certificates, an Announcement Package from CB announcements, and possibly more!
*Student doctor purchases should be directed to Tricia Aschenbrenner at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 574-631-1399. Price is $950.00 + tax, and includes the gown, hood and tam. Orders should be placed by March 31, 2015 to ensure on-time delivery.
P.S. For those of you attending an off-campus program, you may order your cap and gown online; a link will be available on March 19.
University of Notre Dame – Office of the Registrar
300 Grace Hall, Notre Dame, IN 46556
Phone: 574-631-7043 Fax: 574-631-3865
March 18, 2015
Note that the Law School will have a professional photographer here in the courtroom on Friday afternoon of Commencement Weekend so you don’t have to go the graduation fair today to have a photo taken.
If you don’t rent your cap/gown/hood today, I will send you the online ordering link as soon as it becomes available.
March 18, 2015
Balfour/CB Announcements is the official provider of University of Notre
Dame announcements. Representatives will be available at the Grad Fair for
personal assistance and ordering or go to CBgrad.com <http://cbgrad.com/>.
Extra announcements may be ordered at any time from Balfour. One of the
announcement options is a photograph of the graduate. A photographer will
be on hand at the Grad Fair to take photos of students in a professional
portrait or in a cap and gown. Latin Honors are not printed on
announcements. Only University major, minors, concentration and degree may
be printed on announcements.
March 5, 2015
Dear Graduating Students:
Do you have a parent, grandparent, sibling, spouse, fiancé, aunt, uncle, or close family member
(1) a graduate of Notre Dame Law School,
(2) a University of Notre Dame faculty member or academic officer,
(3) a member of the judiciary, or
(4) a law professor, current or retired, whether at Notre Dame or elsewhere?
If yes, would you be interested in having him/her “hood” you at the Law School hooding and diploma ceremony during Commencement Weekend? Please let me know by Friday, March
20, if you would like to take part in this unique experience. Also, please let me know (a) the name of the family member, (b) their relationship to you, and © what year he/she graduated from NDLS, what position he/she holds with the University of Notre Dame, in what court he/she is a judge, or at what law school he/she is or was a professor.
February 19, 2015
The University Registrar has notified us that law students will have unlimited seating in the Stadium for the Sunday University Commencement Ceremony. The procession for this ceremony will wind through campus with degree candidates from each school joining into the procession. Typically, three law graduates assist with carrying the Banner for the Law School to lead the law graduates in the procession. There will be a formal opening of the Gates of the Stadium as you enter for the Ceremony.
Watch for further details from the University Registrar.
February 6, 2015
As graduation approaches, you risk being swamped with forms to complete. I’d like to help in any way that I can. The University Registrar and I will send you via e-mail all the information you need for graduation. Beyond the information to come later, and in the hope of reducing your headaches, I would like to alert you to common obstacles that interfere with applications for admission to the bar. You should:
1. Be certain that all debts are paid to the University (this includes any separate debts owed to the Law School). If your account is not clear, the University will not allow you to have a degree transcript or diploma. You may participate in the graduation ceremonies, but you will receive an empty diploma tube (so as not to embarrass you). The University does not consider an account to have been settled until the check has cleared the bank. If you have any questions about whether your account is clear, you should contact the Office of Student Accounts, 116 Main Building, 631-7113. If you have payment issues, it is far better to discuss matters with an officer in Student Accounts now rather than later.
2. Be certain that we and the University Registrar have your correct mailing address for the summer and thereafter. The University Registrar plans on issuing correct honors diplomas, if possible, right before commencement (pending grade reports). If your correct diploma is delayed, the University will send you a diploma in late summer. If we need information for the bar examiners, we will email you or write to the permanent address on the University’s computer system, unless you tell us of a different address.
3. Complete all of the bar forms as soon as possible. Read the forms carefully, with special attention to any deadlines and required signatures. Leave the forms to be completed by the Law School with me now so that those forms may be completed and signed in a timely manner once you graduate. Note that New York has a later deadline for giving you access to the form to be completed. Please remember that a number of us plan vacations to begin shortly after Commencement. If you wait until the last minute to submit the bar forms, I cannot guarantee that they will be sent to the bar examiners on time. If you do need something sent in a hurry, be sure to give me a written note telling me the deadline.
4. If you need an official transcript enclosed with your bar form, you must request it online via www.inside.nd.edu from the University Registrar. The University Registrar will not honor a request from anyone at the Law School without your online request. You may send transcripts directly to the bar examiners unless it states the transcripts should be included with degree certification forms. If so, it will help if you have the transcript addressed to me in Suite 1100 Eck Hall of Law to avoid confusion with transcripts sent by applicants for admission to the Law School. NOTE: As an alumnus or alumna, after your netID is no longer active, you will need to pay for transcripts. See the transcript web site for details: http://registrar.nd.edu/alumni/transcripts_alum.php So plan accordingly— especially those of you taking the California Bar, for example, because ONLY YOU MAY REQUEST your transcript to be sent.
5. The University Registrar plans on extending your email account access until Feb. 2016 in order that CDO may assist you with employment.
Let me know if you have questions.
Law School Registrar
Feb. 5, 2015
Attached is the preliminary schedule of Law School commencement events. On Friday afternoon, there will be an awards ceremony and opportunity for families and friends photos with a professional photographer. Note well that the prayer service, brunch, and law diploma ceremony will be held on Saturday this year, the Commencement Mass is late afternoon on Saturday, and the main University Commencement Ceremony will be on Sunday morning. In addition, soon you will receive a Law School ticket survey form via e-mail on which you will be asked to indicate the number of tickets for guests you would like to receive for each Law School graduation event. Please share this schedule with your family and discuss the number of guests you anticipate. Further information will be forthcoming.
You will receive information at the beginning of March via e-mail from the main registrar regarding University Ceremony ticket orders, cap and gowns, announcements, and program information. Caps and gowns are available for rent or purchase through the Hammes Notre Dame Bookstore.