General University Information
Visit the University’s main commencement website for more information on planning your trip to campus.
Parking and Shuttles: We have been advised by the University that the following parking lots will be used for Commencement Weekend: Rugby and Wilson Lots (east of Grace Hall); Library Lot and Dunn Lot (east of Knott Hall and Hesburgh Library); Bulla Lot (corner of Bulla Road and Twyckenham Drive); Joyce Lots (south of the Joyce Center and Stadium); and Dorr and Lake Lots (west of the Rockne Memorial). Campus shuttles will be available Saturday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Sunday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
A wheelchair accessible van and golf carts will be available to transport guests with mobility issues plus one guest. These services will be in operation throughout the weekend on campus. Golf cart and accessible van operating times are Friday, noon to 8 p.m.; Saturday, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.; and Sunday, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Contact Notre Dame Security Police at (574) 634-7433 or (574) 634-RIDE to request assistance with accessible transportation. (Phone number is only available during hours of operation.)
Ticket Pickup Information
Ticket pickup for the prayer service and brunch will be in Eck Commons on the following days:
- Wednesday, April 25 and Thursday, April 26: 11:30 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
- Monday, April 30, Tuesday, May 1, and Wednesday, May 2: 11:30 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
- Monday, May 7: 11:30 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
Each student will receive an email by Tuesday, April 24, with the number of guest tickets we were able to allocate to you for the prayer service and the number of tickets you requested for the brunch.
Payment ($10 a ticket) is due at the time of pick up. We will accept cash or checks made out to NDLS.
Cap and Gown information
You should have already ordered your graduation regalia. If you have not please do so here. Late fees will be assessed after this week.
Cap and gown distribution will be May 17 and 18 at the Bookstore.
All J.D. and LL.M students need to rent the doctoral cap and gown. You will wear your regalia at the Law School Prayer Service and Law School Commencement on Saturday and, if you are attending, the University Mass on Saturday and the University Commencement Ceremony on Sunday.
Commencement Weekend Schedule
Friday, May 18
Awards Day (by invitation)
Location: Washington Hall
Dress code: Professional
- 2:00 p.m.: Graduates assemble
- 2:30 p.m.: Awards ceremony begins
- 3:30 p.m.: Light reception and family and friends photographs in Eck Atrium
Saturday, May 19
Location: Basilica of the Sacred Heart
Dress code: full academic regalia
- 9:00 a.m.: Graduates assemble on sidewalk outside Biolchini Hall north doors, Basilica opens to guests (tickets required only for guests)
- 9:15 a.m.: Academic procession to Basilica
- 9:30 a.m.: Law School Prayer Service begins.
Immediately following prayer service, the Law School class picture will be taken on the steps of the Main Building.
Location: Eck Hall of Law
*10:30 a.m.: Brunch begins (tickets required)
Diploma and Hooding Ceremony
Location: Hesburgh Library Reflecting Pool (Inclement weather location: Joyce Center North Dome)
Dress code: full academic regalia
- 12:00 p.m.: Graduates assemble in alphabetical order
- 12:30 p.m.: Law School Diploma and Hooding ceremony begins
- 2:00 p.m.: Estimated completion of ceremony
University Commencement Mass (optional)
- 4:20 p.m.: Students assemble in Joyce Center Gyms
- 4:30 p.m.: Academic procession begins
- 5:00 p.m.: University Commencement Mass Joyce Center
Sunday, May 20
University Commencement Ceremony (optional)
- 8:15 a.m.: Degree candidates assemble for academic procession, with Law School banner carriers in front of line
- 9:30 a.m.: University Commencement procession begins
- 10:00 a.m.: University Commencement ceremony begins