Here it is….Week One, Aug. 25 – Aug. 31. Welcome back you fellow debtors!
For the benefit of the 1Ls, the Monday Morning Update (MMU) is the poor man’s version of a weekly newsletter that will make announcements regarding some miscellaneous information that various individuals, student groups, and offices at the Law School wish to make you aware. Additionally, it is a resource for upcoming events and meetings at the Law School and a few of the more significant university wide events. Please read it at your leisure and with a sense of humor!
• SBA Office Hours are as follows: M-Thur 11:00 – 2:00 and Friday 11:00 – 3:00. The office will be open on Saturday to sell merchandise as well (Time TBA). If you need to buy your ND law gear or simply want more information about or from the SBA, come see us. Get your Notre Dame Law game day shirt so you have it for Saturday.
• To continue preparing for OCI and your callback interviews, it is imperative that we share some interview tips that the Career Development Office (CDO) may not have brought to your attention.
1. If you suspect your interviewer may be a vampire, mention how you thought the movie “Blade” was a little one sided.
2. Shoulder pads are attractive and effective…..this applies to both male and female students.
3. If the interviewer asks “Why is your GPA not included on your resume?” respond with the following answer: “There were a lot of law review kids in my class.”
• JUST DO IT ALREADY, LIKE THE NOTRE DAME LAW SCHOOL STUDENT BAR ASSOCIATION ON FACEBOOK! That way you can follow us for events, merchandise, and all other things SBA.
• Please take notice of the digital video monitor in the hall between the Library and the Commons. Starting next week, event and other information out of the MMU will also be included on a rotating basis as a reminder to those who need it.
• Mock Trial with J. Reinhold! Intensive Trial Advocacy needs your help as jurors for two trial dates, Sept. 13 & 20. Not only will you get to see a mock trial in the South Bend Federal Courthouse in front of real life judges, you will get to render a verdict. Lunch is provided and while the day starts at 8AM it is usually over between 2:00 – 3:00. Contact Matt Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up. You can also sign up by going to this Google doc https://docs.google.com/a/nd.edu/forms/d/1B4dFI36GbVrzh34GZxEixFgjUHSuH-7kVXvqekmcuRI/viewform
• Thank God! A Scholarship is Available:
INDIANAPOLIS BAR ASSOCIATION
GOVERNMENT PRACTICE SECTION
The Government Practice Section of the Indianapolis Bar Association is made up of attorneys who represent government agencies, or who represent clients in connection with matters involving government agencies. In support of its mission to promote an interest in government practice, the Section will award a scholarship in the amount of $1,000 to a second- or third-year law student with an interest in government practice. The scholarship will be awarded annually at the discretion of the Section, and a previous recipient may reapply in the subsequent academic year. An applicant must be a permanent resident of Indiana and must provide: (1) an official or unofficial law school transcript; (2) a letter of recommendation by a law school faculty member with whom the student has completed coursework (to be submitted separately by the faculty member); (3) a resume; and (4) the completed application form and 500-word essay (as described on the application form). A conference call interview may be required of the finalists. All required elements of the application must be submitted electronically not later than 5:00 p.m. on September 19, 2014, to email@example.com, or received by mail or delivery at the following address not later than the close of business on September 19, 2014:
IBA Government Practice Section
c/o Sarah Burkman
Indiana Legislative Services Agency
200 W. Washington Street, Suite 301
Indianapolis, IN 46204-2789
Scholarship applicants will be notified of the Section’s decision not later than September 29, 2014. Proof of enrollment must be provided before funds will be disbursed to the appropriate law school on behalf of the successful applicant. Any questions should be directed to Sarah Burkman at 317.233.9455 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHAT IS GOING ON THIS WEEK
MONDAY – AUG. 25th
First Day of Classes! Thus starts the decline in effort given to personal appearance until Finals are complete.
First Day of Class Finals
• POPSICLES! In the Commons at 12:30 there will be popsicles available. It is projected to be 89 degrees with 78% humidity, you’re going to need one! For anyone else terrified of jack in the boxes, “Pop Goes the Weasel” will not be playing in the background when you pick up your icy treat.
• A Blood Drive at the Hesburgh Library from 10:00 – 4:00. All people donating will receive a $10 Starbucks gift card. Walk-ins are welcome, but you can also schedule an appointment at https://www.givebloodnow.com/index.cfm?group=op&step=2&opid=5256
TUESDAY – AUG. 26th
• Law School Student Activities Fair for 1Ls and LL.M.s – The event will start at 3:15PM will go until approx. 4:30PM. Different clubs, organizations, and journals on campus will have tables set up with information about their groups and sign-ups for the groups will also be available – this is a great opportunity to get involved with the NDLS community – don’t miss out!!
• Opening Day Mass and Picnic. Mass will be held at 5:30PM in Purcell Pavilion, the Joyce Center. Procession begins at 5:20PM. After mass there is a picnic on DeBartolo Quad. For those of you who have never been, the picnic is awesome! Great food and great entertainment. Stay as long as you want and just enjoy the university community being all together. Friends and family are welcome also.
WEDNESDAY – AUG. 27th
• No formal events scheduled at the law school. If you find something, have fun! If any major events are formalized, we will let you know!
THURSDAY – AUG. 28th
• Father Corby’s reputation in preaching to the masses means that it is quite certain that he would support a gathering of students at 9PM for a celebratory SBA Welcome Back Party to the new school year. Free pizza will be available and whomever wants to can test their vocal talents during karaoke.
• The LGBTQ Welcome Back Picnic is scheduled from 5:00 – 7:00 at the Fieldhouse Mall at the Clarke Memorial Fountain (Stonehenge).
• The Graduate Student Faith Fair will be held at the Fischer Graduate Community Center from 5:30 – 7:30. Come learn about campus ministry and upcoming events. Free t-shirts are available.
FRIDAY – AUG. 29th
• Last Day to Add/Drop classes.
• Still have some blood left? Another drive is going on in Grace Hall from 10:00 – 2:00. Relay for Life will receive a $5 donation for each unit of blood collected.
• Graduate Student Mass from 5:15 – 6:15 at the Basilica.
• Notre Dame Band continues the tradition of pumping us up for football Saturday and has the Trumpets playing under the Dome from 4:10 – 4:20.
• Football Pep Rally from 6:00 – 7:00 on the South Quad. Free admission with tuition!
• Notre Dame Band has the Midnight Drummer’s Circle at the Dome, but has them starting at 11:55 and continuing until about 12:40AM on Saturday.
SATURDAY – AUG. 30th
• Alcoholics Anonymous meets at Geddes hall at 12:00.
• Notre Dame Band plays on the steps of Bond Hall at 2:00.
• Home football game versus Rice. Who… Rice. Who… Rice. Who… Rice!!!!!!!!!! Game time is 3:30. Go Irish!
• Mass will be held 30 minutes after the football game at both the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center and the Basilica. Mass can also be had 30 minutes after the game in Alumni, Dillon, Keough, Morrissey, Ryan, Siegfried and Sorin halls. Additionally, the Stepan Center is a good place to attend Mass and they will hold one 45 minutes after the game.
SUNDAY – AUG. 31st
• Mass will be held at 4:30 in the St. Thomas More chapel at the Law School. All faiths are invited as always!
• At 5:30, join the Law School community for a picnic on DeBartolo Quad. Food and drinks will be provided. This is another great time for meeting new people, catching up with old friends, and enjoying the beautiful start to the school year.
SUBMITTING EVENTS TO BE INCLUDED IN THE MMU
• To submit an event to be included in the MMU there are three specific ways to be successful.
1. E-mail me at email@example.com
2. Leave a note in my Mailbox (#565) with details about your event.
3. A google drive submission form (link to be provided in separate e-mail).
WHO IS THAT? (Get to know a Student/Staff/Faculty member of the Law School)
The Dines girls! Catey is a 3L from Buffalo, NY and one of the friendliest people you will ever meet. Sadly she was one of the last athletes cut from the open football tryouts this summer, but she was allowed to take a helmet photo as consolation. Catey’s sister Christina (in the white jacket) is a 1L this year. Catey is seated next to her, sans helmet. Say hi when you see them!