Degrees and Certificates Offered
Degrees and Certificates
The Law School concentrates on providing an all-encompassing education to the next generation of America’s legal minds. With that in mind, there are a few options for those interested in pursuing a career in law, which should be guided by the ultimate career path a prospective student wishes to follow.
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) – The J.D. curriculum provides a strong foundation that has proven to be fundamental to the practice of law in every American jurisdiction, while giving students the opportunity to tailor coursework to particular career aspirations.
- Dual degrees – Notre Dame law students have several opportunities to combine the study of law with another academic discipline, earning two degrees at the end of their course of study. These dual-degree programs include the J.D./M.B.A., the J.D./M.A. in English, and the J.D./Master of Engineering.
- LL.M. – Notre Dame Law School offers an LL.M. degree that can be pursued either at the University of Notre Dame’s main campus in South Bend, Indiana, or at the Law School’s London Law Centre in the UK. Students who wish to obtain an LL.M. degree from a U.S. law school while studying in England and focusing on international and comparative law are encouraged to learn more about our London program. Students who wish to earn their LL.M. on Notre Dame’s main campus, where students develop a study plan tailored to their own interest, visit LL.M. at Notre Dame.
- LL.M. in International Human Rights Law – The Notre Dame Center for Civil and Human Rights offers an LL.M. in International Human Rights Law for lawyers, primarily from outside the United States, an opportunity to engage in specialized study and research in international human rights law. Students in this LL.M. program undertake an intensive analysis of human rights issues with members of the faculty who are specialists in the field of international human rights law. For further information about the LL.M. in International Human Rights Law Program, see the Center for Civil and Human Rights.
- J.S.D. – This program is designed especially for people who wish to pursue an academic career in law and who seek additional education beyond the LL.M. degree level. J.S.D. candidates may be accepted in any field of legal studies. For applicants who have an interest in pursuing a J.S.D. degree specifically in International Human Rights Law, additional information can be found at the Center for Civil and Human Rights.