Kresge Library Endowments

info

Kresge Library Endowments


The Anthony and Lucille Altiero
Law Library Endowment

altiero The Anthony and Lucille Altiero Law Library Endowment was established in 2007 by Michael and Christine Lofino of Beavercreek, Ohio, in honor of Christine’s parents. Michael is the chief executive officer of Lofino Food Stores, Inc., a retail grocery chain of 19 stores in Colorado and Ohio. He also serves as a director of the Lafino Realty Corporation, a property development and management firm in Colorado, Florida, and Ohio.

Michael and Christine are graduates of Miami University of Ohio and are active members of community boards in the Dayton, Ohio, and Sarasota, Florida, areas. Christine serves as a trustee of the Miami Valley School, an independent school in Dayton, where the Lotlno family has endowed scholarships for more than 100 students. Michael was a founding member of the Rotary Club in Beavercreek, and continues to lead initiatives that fund a multitude of charitable institutions in Dayton and Sarasota.

Together and with their family, Michael and Christine have funded the Miami Valley School Athletic Center, the Beavercreek YMCA, the Dominick Lofino Community Park, and the Senior Center of Beavercreek, Ohio.

In their hometown of Niles, Ohio, Anthony and Lucille have been strong supporters of McKinley House, a replica of President William McKinley’s childhood home. Additionally, Anthony served on many community boards, including the McKinley Library board for 31 years, the Niles school board for 20 years, and the parks board. He loved music and played the clarinet for 50 years in the Warren Packard Band.

With the support of the Altiero Endowment, the law library’s resources relating to the complex legal issues surrounding music copyright will remain a vital part of the University’s intellectual property law collection.

The Lofinos also support two additional Named endowments.


The Richard P. Anton Family
Law Library Technology Endowment

anton The Richard P. Anton Law Library Technology Endowment was established by Richard P. and Bonnie B. Anton in 1998. Dick received his bachelor’s degree in finance from Notre Dame in 1954 and, after two years in the Army, continued his education at the University of Pittsburgh, where he earned a law degree in 1959. He practices law in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, as a sole practitioner and is a member of the Notre Dame Law School Advisory Council. Bonnie Anton is a clinical nurse in the Cardiology Division at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. The Antons reside in Pittsburgh, where they have raised two sons, one of whom is a 1993 graduate of Notre Dame.

The technology needs in an effective academic law library are enormous. The Richard P. Anton Family Law Library Technology Endowment helps to assure that the technology needs of the Law School’s students and faculty are fully met. The generosity of the Anton family has ensured that Notre Dame legal scholars will have the benefit of the proper equipment and the necessary access to the best online resources.


The Barnes & Thornburg LLP
Law Library Collection

Committed to offering the attributes of a national law tlrm while preserving a Midwest-firm culture, Barnes & Thornburg LLP has expanded beyond its original cities of Indianapolis, South Bend, and Elkhart, Indiana, to include offices located in Fort Wayne, Indiana; Washington, D.C.; Chicago, Illinois; and Grand Rapids, Michigan.

In addition to being Indiana’s largest law firm, Barnes & Thornburg is now one of the 100 largest law firms in the United States. The firm provides legal services to a diverse group of clients ranging from multinational corporations to individuals. Barnes & Thornburg has nearly 475 attorneys and other legal professionals who represent and counsel clients in virtually all the areas of concentration provided by large, full-service law firms.

The Barnes & Thornburg LLP Law Library Collection was established in 1996 by the firm and a number of its partners who are graduates of Notre Dame Law School. Stephen A. Seall (’66 JD), who was vice chair of the firm and the managing partner of its South Bend office from 1985 to 2001, played a key role in its development. He retired as a partner at the end of 2005 and is now a retired Of Counsel with the firm. Seall is a Fellow of the American College of Tax Counsel. While at Notre Dame, he served on the Notre Dallle Law Review.

Responding to the needs of core patrons in the law library as well as practicing attorneys and scholars from other departments requires resources made possible by the Barnes & Thornburg Collection. The University’s ability to provide the latest works in important emerging legal areas is greatly enhanced by this generous support.


The Dr. Coyle A. and Barbara Brown
Endowed Law Library Collection

brown_endowment_plaqueWith a focus on federal law, the Brown Endowment will provide resources to the Law Library to enhance its ability to support the mission of the Law School and, in turn, the Unviersity. Through intense research, rigorous study, and thorough self-reflection, Notre Dame law students discover how to be a “different kind of lawyer,” and collections such as this make that possible through the acquisitions they provide. These tools will surely remain with graduates throughout their life.


The Regis and Mary Campfield
Estate Planning Collection

campfield_411 Dean Patricia A. O’Hara of the Notre Dame Law School established the Regis and Mary Campfield Estate Planning Collection in 2004, in recognition of the 30 years of support the Campfields have given to the creation, development, and management of the Notre Dame Tax and Estate Planning Institute, one of the largest and most respected programs of its kind. The collection includes thousands of library volumes related to wills, trusts, and estate planning.

Regis (’63) earned his law degree in 1966 from the University of Virginia School of Law, where he was an editor of the Virginia Law Review. There, he met Mary, a graduate student in Chinese history who went on to earn both her master’s and doctoral degrees. After they married, he practiced law with the Cleveland firm of Squire Sanders & Dempsey until 1970, when he joined the faculty of the Notre Dame Law School. In South Bend, their family grew with the births of daughters, Allison and Claire (’97, ’00 JD).

The Campfields now live in Dallas, Texas, where Regis is a professor of law and the Marilyn Jeanne Johnson Distinguished Law Fellow at Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law. His books include Estate Planning and Drafting and Taxation of Estates, Gifts, and Trusts, which is in its 23rd edition. He is a fellow and former regent of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, an academician and former member of the executive council of the International Academy of Estate and Trust Law, a fellow of the American College of Tax Counsel, and an elected member of the American Law Institute.


The Harry Fath Family
Endowed Law Library Collection

fath The Harry Fath Family Endowed Law Library Collection was established in 1996 by Harry J. Fath Jr., a 1963 graduate of Notre Dame, and his wife, Linda, of Cincinnati, Ohio. After leaving Notre Dame, Harry attended the University of Cincinnati, where he earned his law degree in 1968. He is now chief executive officer of Fath Management Company and serves on the board of Catholic Inner City School Education (CISE) and the Executive Committee of the Cincinnati Opera. in addition, he is the founder and past president of the Greater Cincinnati Apartment Association.

Linda Fath is also active in the Cincinnati community She is past chair of the Taft Museum Docents and currently serves as a Cincinnati Art Museum docent. She is also a board member for Cincinnati’s annual May Festival. She and Harry have four children.

The evolution of modern society has resulted in ever-increasing legislative enactments, administrative regulations, and judicial opinions aimed at harmonizing the needs of a national and international community The complexity of these laws inspires an associated body of books and journals designed to explicate or synthesize old and new law. The Harry Fath Family Endowed Law Library Collection will enhance the ability of the Law Library to respond to current and future development in legal publishing. The Fath Endowment will support and benefit the continued legal research and scholarship of both students and faculty.


The Francis M. Gregory Jr.
Collection in Law

gregory Francis M. Gregory Jr. was a partner in the Washington, D.C., law firm of Sutherland, Asbill and Brennan. A 1966 graduate of the Notre Dame Law School, Frank received a bachelor of science degree from St. Louis University in 1963. A former chair of the Notre Dame Law School Advisory Council, he served on the council from 1983 until his death in 1993. His wife, Joan (“Cookie”), graduated from Marymount Manhattan College and lives in Virginia. The Gregorys have two children, Francis M. III and Lauren Sue.

The Francis M. Gregory Jr. Collection in Law is an extremely important resource used by the Kresge Law Library to purchase special materials of significant value to the collection. As the Law School’s faculty and student research interests expand into new areas, the Law Library must respond by providing the appropriate legal research materials. The Gregory Endowment assists greatly in providing the necessary funds to support research in new and emerging fields of legal study.


The Mary K. Hartigan ’91 Law
Endowed Law Library Collection

hartigan Mary K. Hartigan earned her bachelor’s degree from Georgetown University in 1984 and is a member of, Notre Dame Law School Class of 1991. She is active with the American-Ireland Fund and currently serves on Georgetown University’s Hoyas Unlimited Board of Directors and Rowing Alumni Board of Directors. She is also a trustee of the Thomas W. Dower Foundation. A lifelong member of the Notre Dame and Saint Mary’s College family, it was Mary’s love of learning that prompted the endowment of a law library collection.

This collection was established to support the legal research of students and faculty.


The Roger F. Jacobs
Collection in Legal Education

jacobslaw In honor of his skill as a legal librarian, as well as his dedication to the profession and the University, the Roger F. Jacobs Collection in Legal Education was established by the Law School in 2007. Roger came to the University in 1985 as the director of the Kresge Law Library and a professor of law. He became associate dean in 1990. He is now retired, but maintains the titles of professor of law and director emeritus of the law library. During his tenure, Roger influenced countless students and faculty with his readiness to help and his fervor for the field. A leader among law librarians, he instilled in students an appreciation for legal research.

After four years of military service with the United States Navy, Roger graduated from the University of Detroit in 1962. He earned a master’s degree in library science from the University of Michigan in 1964 and a law degree from the University of Detroit in 1970.

Roger’s career took him to the University of Detroit, the University of Windsor, and Southern Illinois University. His last position before coming to Notre Dame was in service to the Supreme Court of the United States as Librarian of the Court.

Roger married Alice Virginia Reekstin in 1962. They have three children: Stephen, Magdalene (‘88), and Sarah (’99).

For the Law School’s scholars and teachers, a knowledge of legal education is fundamental to the successful practice of their vocation. The Jacobs Collection provides Law Library users with a rich source of material on the processes and philosophy supporting the formation of lawyers.


The Michael D. Lofino Family
Endowment for the Law Library

lofino The Michael D. Lofino Family Endowment for the Law Library was established by Michael and Christine Lofino of Beavercreek, Ohio. Michael is the CEO of Lofino Food Stores, Inc., a retail grocery chain of 19 stores in Colorado and Ohio. He also serves as a director of the Lofino Realty Corporation, a developer of properties and a property management firm in Colorado, Florida and Ohio.

Michael and Christine are graduates of Miami University of Ohio and are active members of community boards in the Dayton and Sarasota areas. It is their belief that a community is sustained through the work and gifts of people who care. Christine serves as a trustee of the Miami Valley School, an independent school in Dayton, where the Lofino family has endowed scholarships for more than 100 students. Michael was a founding member of the Rotary Club in Beavercreek, Ohio, and continues to lead initiatives that fund a multitude of charitable institutions in the Dayton and Sarasota communities.

Together and with their family, Michael and Christine have funded
the Lofino Family Complex of the Sarasota YMCA, the Beavercreek YMCA, the Dominic Lofino Community Park, and the Senior Center of Beavercreek, Ohio. However, when asked about their greatest accomplishment, they state, without hesitation, their children: Michael D. Lofino, Jr. (’98 J.D., M.B.A.), and Michelle. Both earned bachelor of science degrees from Cornell University, in 1994 and 1996, respectively.

The Lofino Family Endowment enhances the Law Library by supporting the research needs of law students and faculty, enabling timely response to new research agendas and the growing demand for non-traditional sources.


The Charles and Anna Mae Lofino
Law Library Endowment

lofinolaw The Charles and Anna Mae Lofino Law Library Endowment was established in 2007 by Michael and Christine Lofino of Beavercreek, Ohio, in honor of Michael’s parents. Michael is the chief executive officer of Lofino Food Stores, Inc., a retail grocery chain of 19 stores in Colorado and Ohio. He also serves as a director of the Lofino Realty Corporation, a property development and management firm in Colorado, Florida, and Ohio.

Michael and Christine are graduates of Miami University of Ohio and are active members of community boards in the Dayton, Ohio, and Sarasota, Florida, areas. Christine serves as a trustee of the Miami Valley Schoo], an independent school in Dayton, where the Lofino family has endowed scholarships for more than 100 students. Michael was a founding member of the Rotary Club in Beavercreek, and continues to lead initiatives that fund a multitude of charitable institutions in Dayton and Sarasota.

Charles Lofino has had a rewarding career in retail groceries, real estate development, and banking in Ohio and Florida. Under his leadership, the Lofino family has funded the Lofino Family Complex of the Sarasota YMCA, the Beavercreek YMCA,the Miami Valley School Athletic Center, the Dominick Lofino Community Park, and the Senior Center of Beavercreek, Ohio.

As in all other legal areas, real estate law is becoming more complex and is producing a growing body of literature. Legal scholars will be able to turn to the law library as a great resource for the study of real estate law because of the Lofino Endowment.

The Lofinos also support two additional Named endowments.


The Robert J. Mahoney
Endowed Law Library Collection in Labor Law

mahoney Through a charitable bequest from his estate, John Patrick “Jack” Mahoney Jr. (‘38) established the labor law collection in the Law Library in honor of his brother, attorney Robert Mahoney (’40, ’48 J.D.). Robert was a labor union leader and a former deputy St. Joseph County Prosecutor. Born in Ashtabula, Ohio, he lived in South Bend for more than 50 years, until his death in 1988. He is survived by his nephew, John P. Mahoney, and his five children, the Rev. Robert Mahoney, Maureen Harris, Kathleen Mahoney, Kevin
Mahoney, and Melanie Barth.

Jack Mahoney was a veteran of World War II and served in the Korean War as a Judge Advocate General (JAG). He remained in the reserves until retiring in 1972 as a colonel. In 1950, he opened his law practice in Ashtabula, his lifelong home, where he was also a dedicated supporter of Catholic education. A passionate alumnus, he cherished regular trips to South Bend for football weekends. In addition to this planned gift to the University, Jack was a member of the Edward Frederick Sorin Society and the Order of St. Thomas More.

The Mahoney Collection provides resources for students and researchers in one of the most complex and important areas of legal study – labor law. The laws governing workplaces, unions, international labor agreements, and related topics are constantly expanding and changing. A great legal collection requires constant upgrading of labor law materials- including new electronic resources – in order to fulfill its scholarly obligations, and the Mahoney Collection supports that mission in the Law Library.


The Patrick F. McCartan
Law Library Endowment

mccartan Patrick F. McCartan, managing partner of the law firm Jones, Day, Reavis and Pogue and the chairman of the Board of Trustees of the University, and his wife, Lois, have established the Patrick F. McCartan Jr. Law Library Endowment to enhance the resources at the Kresge Law Library. Pat received his bachelor’s degree from the University in 1956 and graduated from the Notre Dame Law School in 1959. He subsequently served as law clerk to U.S. Supreme Court Justice Charles Evans Whittaker. Elected to the University’s Board of Trustees in 1989 after serving for 10 years on the Notre Dame Law School Advisory Council, he is past chair of the Order of St. Thomas More, an organization comprised of alumni and other benefactors who contribute annually to the Notre Dame Law School. A Fellow of the University, he received an honorary degree from Notre Dame in 1999.

Cited in surveys by The National Law Journal as one of the country’s most respected and influential lawyers, he has also been featured in The Wall Street Journal, The American Lawyer, and The Best Lawyers in America. He is a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, as well as an honorary overseas member of the English Commercial Bar. Active in a variety of civic and professional roles, in 1994 he received the Archbishop Edward F. Hoban Award for Distinguished Service to the Diocese of Cleveland, and the Torch of Liberty Award from the AntiDefamation League in 1998.

He and Lois, who reside in Ohio, have two children.

The Patrick F. McCartan Jr. Law Library Endowment provides the Kresge Law Library with the flexibility to respond to emerging legal information needs. Whether the need is for new online resources, important historical materials on microfiche, or additional books and journals, the educational advancement of law students and the research needs of law faculty are supported generously by the McCartan Endowment.


The Judge Thomas J. and Margaret S. Meagher
Endowment for the New York State Law Collection

meagher Tom Meagher was always a proud graduate of the University of Notre Dame and his wife, Margaret, shared that pride. This is why Margaret honored her husband’s alma mater and their home state when she created in her will the Judge Thomas J. and Margaret S. Meagher Endowment of the New York State Law Collection in the Kresge Law Library.

Born in Rochester, New York, Thomas J. Meagher was educated at Nazareth Hall and Aquinas Institute prior to receiving his B.A. with honors from the University of Notre Dame in 1936. He earned his L.L.B. from Syracuse University College of Law and was admitted to the bar in 1941.

Judge Meagher established his practice in Rochester, becoming a partner of Francis L. Claus. However, seven years later, he left private practice for a six-year term as Children’s Court Judge. At the time of his election in 1948, Thomas Meagher, the first Democrat elected to that position, was described as “an imperturbable, quiet and straight-thinking student of law and sociology.” He approached his duties with a profound belief in the preservation of the family as a key unit of society. He was a frequent lecturer on the need for social supports and role models for teenagers. After completing a six-year term and losing his bid for re-election, he returned to private practice. In 1956, he accepted the position of administrative director for the State Youth Commission, following a year as special consultant for the group. Two years later, he returned to private practice where, shortly thereafter, he formed a new partnership with Robert J. Edelman. In 1967, he was named by the Appellate Division, Fourth Department, to the Committee on Character and Fitness of Applicants to the Bar. In 1978, he was appointed as the first Family Court hearing examiner following a change in the state law to allow the use of hearing examiners in support cases. Throughout his busy career, Judge Meagher also found time to serve on numerous community groups as varied as the Travelers’ Aid Society, Visiting Nurses Association, Montgomery Neighborhood Center, and Otetiana Council of the Boy Scouts of America. He was chairman of DePaul Services and the Monroe County Bar Association. He was actively involved in the Notre Dame Club of Rochester, which awarded him with Man of the Year honors in 1949.

Margaret (Schrader) Meagher, was a descendant of the Cobb family, a founding family in the Rochester region. Peg was an active volunteer at St. Mary’s Hospital and was president of her Seton Group. She was an avid golfer and, in retirement, she and Tom enjoyed their boat on Lake Ontario.

New York State legal materials are vital for any law library that seeks to support scholarship and the needs of a national student body. The Judge Thomas J. and Margaret S. Meagher Endowment for the New York State Law Collection in the Kresge Law Library supports the acquisition both of new works of analysis as well as of the many continuing publications of legislative and judicial materials emanating from New York. The Meaghers’ generous support will enable the Kresge Law Library to build and maintain a great New York legal collection.


The John P. Murphy
Law Library Collections

murphy The John P. Murphy Foundation of Cleveland, Ohio, was established by the late John P. Murphy, chairman of the board of the Higbee Company and a Notre Dame trustee for 36 years, until his death in 1969. A 1912 graduate of Notre Dame’s Law School, Mr. Murphy practiced law in Cleveland, eventually becoming president of the Higbee Company. In 1928 he served as president of the Notre Dame Alumni Association and, in 1952, he received an honorary doctor of laws degree from the University.

For two decades the resources provided by the John P. Murphy Law Library Collections have been vital to the development of the Kresge Law Library. For the first decade, the income from the fund was largely devoted to providing subvention of the library’s acquisition program. The purchase of primary legal authorities (case reports and legislation) as well as outstanding secondary materials (texts, treatise and legal periodicals) were supported by the fund. Over the last 10 years, the fund has helped to underwrite the library’s greatly expanded services as it grew to meet the developing mission of a research-oriented law school: microforms, computers, advanced communications technologies, automated library processing systems, online search systems, and continuing education of librarians have all been by-products of the fund. The totality of the collections and services supported by the Murphy Endowment have been, and will continue to be, a tremendous force in facilitating faculty and student research in the Notre Dame Law School.


The Peter J. O’Connor II
Endowed Law Library Collection

po_connor Rex O’Connor, Sr. (‘51 J.D.), and his wife, Mary Evelyn, established this collection in honor of their son, Peter, through a charitable remainder trust. Rex completed his undergraduate studies at Aquinas College in Grand Rapids, Michigan, before entering the Notre Dame Law School. Now semi-retired from the private practice of law, he has provided pro-bono legal organizations and clients in his community, local and beyond. He also serves as a director of Extruded Aluminum Corporation and director emeritus of Independent Bank Corporation. He and Mary Evelyn have three children: Peter, Rex Jr.,and Mary B.O’Connor (’96). They live in Ionia, Michigan.

At Notre Dame, the O’Connors are members of the Edward Frederick Sorin Society, the Stephen Theodore Badin Guild, and the Order of St. Thomas More.

In addition to this collection, they support the Rex Patrick and Mary Evelyn O’Connor Family Endowed Collection of Irish Law, the Rex P. O’Connor, Jr., Endowed Law Library Collection, and the Mary B. O’Connor Endowment in the Mendoza College of Business.

They are also active members of the Notre Dame Club of Grand Rapids. Peter J. O’Connor currently resides in Orleans, Michigan, and has been a loyal employee of Extruded Aluminum Corporation for nearly two decades. He finds joy in helping others, including neighbors and family. His love of Notre Dame was inherited from his father and enhanced when he attended sports camp at the University as a child. Peter also has a great affection for Ireland, especially the country’s Catholic heritage, which is evident in the images he chose for his plaque.


The Rex Patrick and Mary Evelyn O’Connor Family
Endowed Collection in Irish Law

oconnor Rex and Mary O’Connor live in Ionia, Michigan, and have three children: Peter, Rex Jr. and Mary, who is a 1996 graduate of Notre Dame. Rex who completed his undergraduate studies at Aquinas College in Grand Rapids, Michigan, received his law degree from Notre Dame in 1951. Engaged in the private practice of law, he also serves as a director of Independent Bank Corporation, as an officer and/or director of other for profit and non-profit corporations. Rex is a member of the University’s Edward Frederick Sorin Society Founder’s Circle and the Notre Dame Club of Grand Rapids.

The Rex Patrick and Mary Evelyn O’Connor Family Endowed Collection in Irish Law has provided the Kresge Law Library with resources to begin an active program of acquiring contemporary Irish legal materials. Recently, Irish studies have greatly expanded in other disciplines active on the Notre Dame campus. The O’Connor Endowment allows our legal scholars to participate in this creative environment of Irish studies.


The Rex P. O’Connor, Jr.,
Endowed Law Library Collection

ro_connorg2 Rex O’Connor, Sr., and his wife, Mary Evelyn, established this collection in honor of their son, Rex Jr., through a charitable remainder trust. Rex Sr. (‘51 J.D.) completed his undergraduate studies at Aquinas College in Grand Rapids, Michigan, before entering the Notre Dame Law School. Now semi-retired from the private practice of law, he has provided pro-bono legal services to numerous organizations and clients in his community, local and beyond. He also serves as a director of Extruded Aluminum Corporation and director emeritus of Independent Bank Corporation. He and Mary Evelyn have three children: Peter, Rex Jr., and Mary B. O’Connor (’96). They live in
Ionia, Michigan.

At Notre Dame, the O’Connors are members of the Edward Frederick Sorin Society, the Stephen Theodore Badin Guild, and he Order of St. Thomas More.

In addition to this collection, they support the Rex, Patrick, and Mary Evelyn O’Connor Family Endowed Collection of Irish Law, the Peter J. O’Connor II Endowed Law Library Collection, and the Mary B. O’Connor Endowment in the Mendoza College of Business. They are also active members of the Notre Dame Club of Grand Rapids.

Rex P. O’Connor, Jr., is a graduate of James Madison College at Michigan State University, where he majored in international relations. He is currently the director of sales and marketing at the Great Wolfe Lodge in Traverse City, Michigan, and is active in the local chapter of the United Way and Leadership Grand Traverse. His wife, Kimberly Ann, is a first-grade teacher. They reside in Thompsonville, Michigan, with their three daughters: Maren, Madison and Hadley.


The Roger and Dorcas Regelbrugge Family
Endowed Collection in Natural Law

regelbrugge Born in the Flemish part of Belgium, Roger Regelbrugge’s family and education provided a strong foundation for an enduring devotion to his faith and to Our Lady. Inspired and motivated by the many blessings received through the intercession of the Virgin Mary, Roger and his wife Dorcas, have established the Roger and Dorcas Regelbrugge Family Endowed Collection in Natural Law.

Roger Regelbrugge received his bachelor of science degree from State Technical College, Ghent Belgium, in 1951. Upon graduation, he served as an officer in the Belgian Army. He eventually made his way to the United States where he attended the General Motors Institute in Flint, Michigan, earning yet another engineering degree before acquiring his master of science in mechanical engineering from Michigan State University. Roger, a manufacturing executive, spent much of his life serving as president and chief executive officer of GS Industries, a company specializing in the development of wire products for the construction, agriculture, and automobile industries. Although now retired, Roger remains active serving on the board at GS Industries, Belmont Abby College, the Charlotte Country Day School and the University of Notre Dame Engineering Advisory Council.

Dorcas, a graduate of Queens College in Charlotte, North Carolina, is active in their local church and charities. Of the nine Regelbrugge children, Anita Saurer is a Notre Dame graduate.

The Roger and Dorcas Regelbrugge Family Endowed Collection in Natural Law supports the study of legal theory with a long and honorable history in the Law School. As the home of the Natural Law Institute and The American Journal of Jurisprudence, and as a center for the study of law and religion, the Law School has always required significant library holdings in natural law. Through the generosity of the Regelbrugges, who established their collection to stimulate awareness and interest in the fundamental mission and destiny of mankind and the divine guidelines for success, this collection will ensure that these holdings will increase and that the study of natural law will continue to be integral to the Law School’s work.


The John F. Sandner Family
Law Library Collection

sandner Although retired from the his position as chair of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME) board of directors, John F. “Jack” Sandner, a 1968 Notre Dame Law School graduate and member of the University’s Board of Trustees, remains active with the company, serving as special policy advisor to the board of directors. Under his leadership, the CME embarked on numerous and ambitious new initiatives to trade products from around the globe, and the CME became the global financial services industry pacesetter for the 1980s and 1990s. In 1995, U.S. Treasury Secretary Robert E. Rubin appointed Jack to the U.S. Advisory Commission on Financial Services.

Jack is currently chair, president and chief executive officer of RB&H, L.P., a futures commission merchant and clearing member firm of the CME. He serves on numerous boards, including those of Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke’s Medical Center, The Economic Club of Chicago, the Lyric Opera of Chicago, the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago, and Click Commerce, Inc.

In 1998, the CME named its endowed chair at Northwestern University’s J.L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management “The Chicago Mercantile Exchange John F. Sandner Chair in Futures and Options Studies,”. Jack and his wife, Carole, a registered nurse, have seven children.

The single largest purchase of materials in the history of the Kresge Law Library was made possible because of the John F. Sandner Family Law Library Collection. When the Chicago Bar Association (CBA) made its entire collection available for sale, the Kresge Library was able to move quickly to take advantage of the offer because of this generous benefaction. The CBA collection vastly increased the library’s holdings of periodicals and primary state materials, and filled large gaps in 19th and 20th century monographic holdings. The acquisition of this material has helped make the Kresge Law Library a true research facility.


The Paul and Carol Schierl
Law School Endowment for the Study of the Legal Issues of the Civil War

schierl Paul J. Schierl holds a 1957 bachelor’s degree and a 1961 law degree from the University of Notre Dame. Joining the Fort Howard Corporation in 1964 as general counsel and serving as its leader since 1974, Paul led the management group that, with the Morgan Stanley Group, Inc., took the company private in 1988. Paul retired in 1990 and currently serves as president of the Cornerstone Foundation of Northeastern Wisconsin, Inc.

Paul has been a member of the Notre Dame Law School Advisory Council since 1981, and is also a member of the advisory councils for the Salvation Army, Wisconsin Policy Pesearch, WFIC, and the Green Bay Packers. He is co-founder and past president of the Greater Green Bay Community Foundation and a former member of the Saint Mary’s College Board of Trustees. He and his wife, Carol, reside in DePere, Wisconsin. He has five children, all of whom are Notre Dame or Saint Mary’s graduates.

The Civil War was a defining moment in American history. The social and economic sources that conflict, the military history of the struggle for union, and the reconstruction era are each represented by a massive body of historical literature. Less massive, but no less important, is the corpus of legal literature that relates to this period. The Paul & Carol Schierl Law School Endowment for the Study of the Legal Issues of the Civil War will enable the Law Library, over time, to build a truly unique collection. In due course, the Schierl Endowment will support and attract scholarship about the law, lawyers, and legal systems that influenced this tumultuous era.


The Lawrence W. Smith
Endowed Collection in Legal Ethics

smithethics To help further the mission and resources of the Kresge Law Library, Lawrence W. Smith Jr., through a charitable remainder trust established the Lawrence W. Smith Endowed Collection in Ohio Law and the Lawrence W. Smith Endowed Collection in Legal Ethics.

An East Liverpool, Ohio, native and descendant of the city’s founder, Thomas Fawcett, Lawrence W. Smith grew up working at the family-owned and operated Smith Hardware Store. He graduated from East Liverpool High School in 1931 and earned his bachelor’s degree from the University of Notre Dame before returning home to teach in the local school system. In 1941, he received a law degree from Duquesne University and established a practice in East Liverpool, which was interrupted by service in World War II. Serving in the European Theatre of Operations, he received four bronze battle stars for action in Naples, Foddia, Rome and North Apennines. Following the war, he returned home and resumed his law practice.

He was a member of St. Aloysius Catholic Church, Carroll Council 509 Knights of Columbus, Elks Lodge 258, the VFW, the American Legion, and the East Liverpool Country Club. He served for many years as a director of the former Potters Bank and Trust, and was a member of the Leadership Gift Society of the East Liverpool High School Alumni Association. Professionally, he was a member of the Columbiana County Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association and the American Bar Association. He was also involved with the Badin Guild, the Edward Fredrick Sorin Society, and the Order of St. Thomas More at the University of Notre Dame.

He and his wife Elizabeth had five children: Lawrence W. III, Cynthia, twin daughters Maureen and Isabel, and Elizabeth “Betsy,” who passed away in 1973.

Part of the Notre Dame Law School’s mission is to prepare professionals “whose decisions are guided by the ethical values and morality that Notre Dame represents.” The Lawrence W. Smith Endowed Collection in Legal Ethics provides the Kresge Law Library with the opportunity to acquire the scholarly materials necessary for the study of legal ethics at the institution where ethical concerns are primary.


The Lawrence W. Smith
Endowed Collection in Ohio Law

smithohio To help further the mission and resources of the Kresge Law Library, Lawrence W. Smith Jr., through a charitable remainder trust established the Lawrence W. Smith Endowed Collection in Ohio Law and the Lawrence W. Smith Endowed Collection in Legal Ethics.

An East Liverpool, Ohio, native and descendant of the city’s founder, Thomas Fawcett, Lawrence W. Smith grew up working at the family-owned and operated Smith Hardware Store. He graduated from East Liverpool High School in 1931 and earned his bachelor’s degree from the University of Notre Dame before returning home to teach in the local school system. In 1941, he received a law degree from Duquesne University and established a practice in East Liverpool, which was interrupted by service in World War II. Serving in the European Theatre of Operations, he received four bronze battle stars for action in Naples, Foddia, Rome and North Apennines. Following the war, he returned home and resumed his law practice.

He was a member of St. Aloysius Catholic Church, Carroll Council 509 Knights of Columbus, Elks Lodge 258, the VFW, the American Legion, and the East Liverpool Country Club. He served for many years as a director of the former Potters Bank and Trust, and was a member of the Leadership Gift Society of the East Liverpool High School Alumni Association. Professionally, he was a member of the Columbiana County Bar Association, the Ohio State Bar Association, and the American Bar Association. He was also involved with the Badin Guild, the Edward Fredrick Sorin Society, and the Order of St. Thomas More at the University of Notre Dame.

He and his wife Elizabeth had five children: Lawrence W. III, Cynthia, twin daughters Maureen and Isabel, and Elizabeth “Betsy,” who passed away in 1973.

The Lawrence W. Smith Endowed Collection in Ohio Law supports an important body of state law for students and researchers. The cumulation of case law and statutory materials and the acquisition of new scholarly works analyzing Ohio law add significantly to the Kresge Law Library’s comprehensive collection of American legal materials. The Smith Collection will ensure the ongoing quality of the Ohio law collection in perpetuity.


The Louis and Karen Smith Family
Law School Endowment for the Collection of the Legal Publications for the State of Michigan

smith The Louis and Karen Smith Family Law School Endowment for the Collection of the Legal Publications of the State of Michigan was created by Louis A. Smith, a member of the Notre Dame Law School Advisory Council and president of Smith & Johnson Attorneys, P.C., and his wife, Karen Emens Smith. Lou and Karen, of Traverse City, Michigan, are the parents of three children, who have earned a total of six Notre Dame degrees: Timothy Paul Smith (B.A. 1989, J.D. 1992), Patrick Louis Smith (B.A. 1990, J.D./M.B.A. 1995), and Elizabeth Karen Smith Palmer (MUS.B.A. 1995). Lou graduated from Michigan State University cum laude in 1962. He then went on to the University of Michigan, where he earned his juris doctorate degree. Karen is also a University of Michigan graduate who received her bachelor of arts degree in voice performance. Lou is a board member of Empire National Bank, Interlochen Center for the Arts, and Universal Forest Products, and is a member of the State Bar of Michigan and the District of Columbia Bar Association.

Bordering on the state of Michigan, Notre Dame has long attracted to its Law School strong numbers of Michigan residents, sending many of them back to Michigan upon graduation. The interests of these students in particular, and Law School research in general, require strong collections in state law. The Louis and Karen Smith Family Endowment will support the continuous acquisition of Michigan primary legal materials and a strong collection of textual commentary, enabling a perpetual commitment to the study of Michigan’s important legal system.


The John A. Vuono Family
Endowed Collection in International Law

vuono John A. Vuono, a senior partner in the law firm Vuono and Gray in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, has earned two degrees from the University: a bachelor of arts degree in 1954 and a juris doctorate in 1955. In 1956, he received a master of laws degree from the University of Pennsylvania. A member of the Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, and American Bar Associations, John has served on the Notre Dame Law School Advisory Council since 1993. He and his wife, Linda, live in Nevillewood, Pennsylvania. He has five children, all of whom have graduated from Notre Dame: Mark in 1977, Marty in 1981, Carl in 1984, Karen in 1988 and Louise, a 1992 Saint Mary’s alumna and 1995 Law School graduate.

The John A. Vuono Family Endowed Collection in International Law is dedicated to John’s parents, Carl and Rose Vuono of Monongahela, Pennsylvania.

Through the generosity of the John A. Vuono Family the quality of the Kresge Law Library’s international legal materials collection is greatly enhanced. The Kresge Law Library is dedicated to acquiring a dynamic collection in international law to support the legal education needs of all law students who will work in an increasingly interconnected global environment. The Vuono Family Endowment plays an integral part in the Law School’s development.


The Robert J. and Kathleen B. Welsh Family
Endowment for the Notre Dame Law School

welsh Robert J. Welsh Jr. is president and chief executive officer of Welsh Oil, Inc., in Merrillville, Indiana. A 1956 graduate of Notre Dame, he was a member of the Notre Dame Law School Advisory Council from 1987 to 1990 before transferring to the Advisory Council for the College of Business Administration, on which he served until his election to the University’s Board of Trustees in 1991. Among his business affiliations are directorships of NBD Indiana, Inc., NIPSCO Industries, Inc., Northern Indiana Public Service Company, and Lakeshore Hospital Systems, where he serves as chairman of the Finance Committee. He also served on the Board of Regents of Saint Mary’s College for eight years, several of which were in the capacity of vice chair of the board and treasurer of the college. He was also a recipient of their “President’s Medal.” Bob’s wife, Kathleen, is an alumna of Saint Mary’s College. Bob and Kathleen live in Valparaiso, Indiana, and have four daughters, all of whom attended Saint Mary’s College: Anne, Kathleen, Suzanne (a 1989 graduate of the Notre Dame Law School) and Mary Carol, and a son, Daniel.

The Robert J. and Kathleen B. Welsh Family Endowment for the Notre Dame Law School has been a tremendous resource in helping the Kresge Law Library to enhance the quality of its collections. With the expansion of the Law School’s mission to include major faculty and student research, it is imperative that the library’s collections expand to accommodate these interests. The Welsh Endowment has enabled the library to acquire legal information in print, microform, and online formats that would otherwise be unobtainable. The availability of this information to students and faculty is invaluable to their scholarship and research efforts. Moreover, in addition to the direct benefits, the enhancement of the library’s collections plays a significant role in fostering the Law School’s national leadership reputation.


Other Endowments

The library also benefits from other generous endowments created to enhance library collections:

Barnes & Thornburg Law Library Endowment
Roswell C. Bottum, Jr. Law Library Fund
Robert J. Forgash Legal History Fund
Paul A. Guarnieri Rare Legal Materials Fund
Michael D. Lofino Law Library Fund
Miller McCarthy Law Library Endowment
Jack V. Moriarty Family Law Library Endowment
Peter H. Noznesky Law Library Endowment
Powers International Law and Law Library Technology Fund
Ray J. Schoonhoven Labor Law Endowment
Edmund A. Stephan Law Library Fund
Joseph S. Zavislak Kresge Law Library Endowment

Additionally, smaller gifts to the library have been historically aggregated to support the now substantial Law Library Book Fund.