Since the fall of 1998, the London Law Programs has been housed with the University’s other programs in its London Centre, Marian Kennedy Fischer Hall, at 1 Suffolk Street on the northwest corner of Trafalgar Square in central London. The building was constructed in 1906 as a gentleman’s club for graduates of Oxford and Cambridge, and continued to be used for this purpose until 1979. The building’s exterior reflects the discreet grandeur thought to be appropriate to an Edwardian club.
The Law Center is next to the National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery on the edge of theatreland, only a ten-minute walk from Buckingham Palace and Downing Street to the west and legal London to the east. Public open areas such as St. James’ Park, Waterloo Gardens, Embankment Gardens and the River Thames are less than five minutes walk, while King’s College, the London School of Economics and the Royal Courts of Justice are nearby along the Strand.
The interior preserves many of the period details expected of a building of this quality, including a sweeping central staircase, imposing reception rooms and marbled fireplaces. The University, with the permission of the Crown, has renovated the building extensively, creating a modern teaching facility in the heart of traditional London.
The Centre contains the London Law Program’s own law library, but students can conduct more extensive legal research at the library of the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, one of the finest legal research facilities in Europe, and with which Notre Dame has made arrangements for accommodation of its students.
The historical character of the facility housing the Law Centre, as well as London itself, may be challenging to students with disabilities. Disabled students interested in the program are urged to discuss accommodations with the program director at their earliest opportunity.