Summer Stipend Program

Summer Stipend Program

The Summer Stipend Program is a comprehensive, collaborative program through which alumni, students, legal employers, and various friends of Notre Dame Law School provide stipends for our students performing otherwise unpaid legal public interest work around the world. The summer stipend award is $4000, $3000 of which comes out of federal work study funding. Eligible students working in certain public interest positions in the United States may be eligible for the full $4000 stipend.

Student Information

Please refer to the 2016 Summer Stipend Program Guidebook if you are looking to acquaint yourself with the application process or to understand how an award may impact your financial aid package. From there, please contact the CDO with questions you may have.

Federal Work Study: A First Come, First Served Program

Every year, Financial Aid allocates a specific number of summer federal work study slots to the law school. In a typical year, the law school is given 90 federal work study slots. Those 90 slots are allocated on a first come, first served basis and once those 90 slots have been filled, the program is full and Financial Aid will not give any additional applicants federal work study funding. The CDO begins accepting federal work study program paperwork, and the line to get one of the 90 slots begins filling, on February 2. You are in line to get federal work study funding once you submit your completed student and agency agreements to Erin Brooks. If your agency has changes to make to your agency agreement and the CDO is working with the General Counsel to review those changes, just inform the CDO and we will put you in line. Last year, the 90 slots were filled on April 2 so if you want to maximize your chances of getting federal work study funding, plan to get your paperwork in well before that date. All applicants turning paperwork in after the 90 slots have been filled will be moved to the waitlist. Every year, several students come off the waitlist.

Employment Forms

All students enrolled in the Summer Stipend Program, including both those receiving only Base Funding and those receiving Federal Work Study funds, need to become employees of the University of Notre Dame. If you are not already an employee of the University, you will need to complete the required forms to become an employee at Notre Dame’s Human Resources office, located at 200 Grace Hall. When you go to Grace Hall, you will need to bring all accompanying materials, which includes required documentation to complete your I9 (e.g., U.S. Passport or Driver’s License plus either Social Security Card or Birth Certificate). These forms are located online at You cannot leave campus without taking your passport to HR as they must receive it in person

You cannot complete forms to become an employee until HR has put all summer positions in their system, which they will do in Mid-April. They will send individual emails to each student letting you know when your position is in the system and when you are eligible to fill out your employment paperwork.

2016 Summer Stipend and Federal Work Study Important Dates

February 1: CDO will host a lunch-time presentation outlining the summer stipend program.

February 2: First date the CDO will accept summer stipend forms. Turn in all summer stipend forms (agency and student agreements) to Erin Brooks in the CDO.

ASAP and Prior to March 1: File 2015 taxes so IRS can generate a PIN for electronically-filed taxes, auto-completing your FAFSA.

Spring Break: Bring back forms needed to complete employment paperwork: (1) passport or (2) driver’s license and birth certificate or social security card.

March 31: Deadline for filing 2016-2017 FAFSA

March: Month to turn your student and agency agreement in to have the best chance of getting federal work study

April 2: Date the 90 federal work study slots filled up last year

April 12: Final date CDO will accept agency and student agreements for federal work study. Please be aware that if you wait until this day to turn in your paperwork that it is very likely the federal work study program will already be full.

April 13: First day that financial aid begins putting student summer jobs in their system

April 13: Eligible students who have received an email from HR can begin to complete employment forms online at insideND and visit HR to provide supporting documentation for I-9. HR will send individual emails to each student letting you know when your position is in the system and when you are eligible to fill out your employment paperwork. You cannot fill out your employment forms until you receive that email from HR.

May 1: Student and agency agreements (with program description) are due to CDO for Base Funding.

Early May: The CDO will send out emails about applying for student organization awards.

Early May: Office of Financial Aid informs students of decisions regarding federal work study.

May 12: Deadline to complete employment forms (I9, W4, WH4, direct deposit form). If you are unable to complete your employment forms by May 12, you can still receive the summer stipend but you absolutely must complete your employment forms before leaving campus.

May 31, June 15, June 30, July 15, July 31, and August 15: Please note that the first and last payment dates are tied to your start and end date of employment as it is specified on your agency agreement. If you begin employment on May 15, you will receive your first stipend payment on May 30. If you being employment on June 1, you will receive your first stipend payment on June 15. If you end work on July 31, you will not get paid on August 15. Base funding recipients will get paid on June 15 and June 30. Please note that the stipend is taxable.

Prior to July 10: Complete Midpoint Hours Verification Form and send to Katelynn McBride (You may email a PDF to Katelynn McBride at or fax to 574-631-4789)

Prior to August 15: Complete Final Hours Verification Form and send to Katelynn McBride (You may email a PDF to Katelynn McBride at or fax to 574-631-4789)


All students must turn in an agency and student agreement in order to receive the summer stipend. Turn in your agency and student agreements to Erin Brooks in the CDO. Pay careful attention to the list of agency agreements below and make sure you select the correct one. There is a separate agency agreement for judicial employers and some organizations, such as the DOJ and several state Attorney General offices, which have hosted students in the summer stipend program in the past and have negotiated their own agreements. Most students will fill out one of the first two agreements.

2016 Summer Stipend Approval Process

Summer Stipend Process Flow Chart

Agency Agreements for Federal Work Study

+ Agency Agreement for Judicial Employers
+ Agency Agreement for non-profits and all other employers
+ Agency Agreement for the California Department of Justice, Office of the Attorney General
+ Agency Agreement for Connecticut Attorney General
+ Agency Agreement for the New York State Attorney General’s Office
+ Agency Agreement for the Executive Office of Immigration Review
+ Agency Agreement for the City of Chicago Department of Law
+ Agency Agreement for the University of North Carolina Athletic Department
+ Agency Agreement for the Asset Forfeiture and Money Laundering Section
+ Agency Agreement for the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee

Agency Agreement for Base Funding

+ Agency Agreement for Only Base Funding

Student Agreements

Student Agreement for Class of 2018
Student Agreement for Class of 2017

Hours Verification Forms

Midpoint Hours Verification Form
Final Hours Verification Form

+ You are required to only submit one Agency Agreement. If you are applying for Federal Work Study, then please complete the ‘Agency Agreement for Federal Work Study’. If you only wish to have the only base funding stipend, then please complete the ‘Agency Agreement for Only Base Funding’. If you apply for but do not receive Federal Work Study, your first Agency Agreement will suffice for base funding.

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I eligible for the summer stipend?

Because the student’s work must be considered “community service” to be eligible for federal work study, the nature of the students’ work is key when determining whether it is eligible for federal work study. Employers qualifying for federal work study funding come from three categories:

(1) Non-profits

(2) Governmental bodies (including prosecutors and judges)

(3) Community-based agencies

For more information on what constitutes a non-profit and eligibility guidelines for the summer stipend program, review the summer stipend guidebook. Then, if you still have questions, contact Katelynn McBride. All final eligibility determinations are made by the Office of Financial Aid.

Am I guaranteed a spot in the summer stipend program? When must I apply to the program to be guaranteed a spot?

Financial aid cannot guarantee any student a spot in the summer stipend program. Your ability to participate depends on whether your employment is eligible and how early you turn in your agency and student agreements. Each year, financial aid allocates a certain number of spots in the summer stipend program. This year, at least 90 NDLS students may participate in the program and possibly more. Students are admitted into the program on a first-come, first-served basis and the CDO receives summer stipend paperwork from February 2 through April 12. The closer you get to April, the more likely it is that the program is closer to filling up. Once the law school’s allocated summer stipend slots from financial aid have been filled, additional applicants will be based on the waitlist.

I do not have a summer job yet. Can I enroll in the summer stipend program?

Unfortunately, you cannot. Financial aid must approve each student for the summer stipend award and they cannot do that until they have an agency agreement from you. You, of course, cannot fill out your agency agreement until you know the agency where you will work. If you want to receive the summer stipend but have not secured a summer job, come see a counselor in the CDO and we will help you research organizations and create a job search strategy.

I turned in my agency and student agreements. When will I be able to fill out my employment paperwork?

The absolute earliest date that any student can fill out employment paperwork is April 13 because that is the first date that financial aid begins putting summer jobs in their system. Financial aid cannot put jobs into their system until the CDO has your agency and student agreement, which means you cannot fill out your employment paperwork until you turn your agency and student agreement in to the CDO. You will know you can fill out your employment paperwork when HR sends you an email telling you that you can do so.

How do I know if I have successfully enrolled in the summer stipend program?

There is no email officially telling you that you have enrolled but if you have filled out your I-9, had your passport copied by HR, and filled out your direct deposit and W4 form online, you should be good to go in terms of receiving summer stipend funding. If you want to double check and make absolutely sure that you will get paid on May 31 or June 15 (the first payment date depends on the start date listed on your agency agreement), call HR at 574-631-5900 to ensure you are an employee of the university.

Follow us on Twitter!

Quick Links