LL.M. and Other Degree Program Information
Beyond striving for professional achievement, a Notre Dame lawyer fundamentally acts in service to others. A different kind of lawyer is one who realizes the practice of law is not an end in itself. For students coming from around the world, choosing to be part of Notre Dame Law School is the beginning of a new, highly specialized way of giving back to the international community.
- LL.M. – Notre Dame Law School offers an LL.M. degree that can be pursued either at the University of Notre Dame’s main campus in South Bend, Indiana, or at the Law School’s London Law Centre in the UK. Students from European countries who wish to obtain an LL.M. degree from a U.S. law school while studying in England and focusing on international and comparative law are encouraged to learn more about our London program. International students who wish to earn their LL.M. on Notre Dame’s main campus, where students develop a study plan tailored to their own interest, are encouraged to visit our new web page on the LL.M. program at Notre Dame.
- LL.M. in International Human Rights Law – The Notre Dame Center for Civil and Human Rights also offers an LL.M. in International Human Rights Law for lawyers, primarily from outside the United States, an opportunity to engage in specialized study and research in international human rights law. Students in this LL.M. program undertake an intensive analysis of human rights issues with members of the faculty who are specialists in the field of international human rights law. For further information about the LL.M. in International Human Rights Law Program, see the Center for Civil and Human Rights.
- J.S.D. in International Human Rights Law – This program is designed especially for people who teach in the field of international human rights law and who seek additional education beyond the LL.M. degree level.
- Master of Science in Patent Law – In the one-year Master of Science in Patent Law program, you’ll learn about the newest developments in the patent legal world through a hands-on curriculum, taught by currently practicing patent attorneys and agents. You’ll draft a real patent application based on a real, Notre Dame-owned invention.
- Dual degrees – Notre Dame law students have several opportunities to combine the study of law with another academic discipline, earning two degrees at the end of their course of study. These dual-degree programs include the J.D./M.B.A., the J.D./M.A. in English, and the J.D./M.S. in Engineering.