Degrees and Certificates Offered
Degrees and Certificates
The Law School concentrates on providing an all-encompassing education to the next generation of America’s legal minds. With that in mind, there are a few options for those interested in pursuing a career in law, which should be guided by the ultimate career path a prospective student wishes to follow.
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) – The J.D. curriculum provides a strong foundation that has proven to be fundamental to the practice of law in every American jurisdiction, while giving students the opportunity to tailor coursework to particular career aspirations.
- Dual degrees – Notre Dame law students have several opportunities to combine the study of law with another academic discipline, earning two degrees at the end of their course of study. These dual-degree programs include the J.D./M.B.A., the J.D./M.A. in English, and the J.D./Master of Engineering.
- LL.M. – Notre Dame Law School offers an LL.M. degree that can be pursued either at the University of Notre Dame’s main campus in South Bend, Indiana, or at the Law School’s London Law Centre in the UK. Students from European countries who wish to obtain an LL.M. degree from a U.S. law school while studying in England and focusing on international and comparative law are encouraged to learn more about our London program. International students who wish to earn their LL.M. on Notre Dame’s main campus, where students develop a study plan tailored to their own interest, visit LL.M. at Notre Dame.
- LL.M. in International Human Rights Law – The Notre Dame Center for Civil and Human Rights offers an LL.M. in International Human Rights Law for lawyers, primarily from outside the United States, an opportunity to engage in specialized study and research in international human rights law. Students in this LL.M. program undertake an intensive analysis of human rights issues with members of the faculty who are specialists in the field of international human rights law. For further information about the LL.M. in International Human Rights Law Program, see the Center for Civil and Human Rights.
- J.S.D. in International Human Rights Law – This program is designed especially for people who teach in the field of international human rights law and who seek additional education beyond the LL.M. degree level.
- Master of Science in Patent Law – In the one-year Master of Science in Patent Law program, you’ll learn about the newest developments in the patent legal world through a hands-on curriculum, taught by currently practicing patent attorneys and agents. You’ll draft a real patent application based on a real, Notre Dame-owned invention. Please note this degree is awarded through the College of Science, not the Law School.
- Certificate in Patent Prosecution is a 12-credit curriculum, which teaches you the skills you will use to help others get patents for their inventions. Students completing this curriculum will receive a Certificate from the Law School.
Cameasha Turner walked into South Bend’s Center for the Homeless earlier this month a little bit apprehensive, but mostly excited to volunteer in the community she would be calling home for the next three years.View All News
Notre Dame Law School has an impressive number of journals. Check them out and get involved!
For Prospective Students:
Law School Admissions
For Current Students:
Student Services Office
1100 Eck Hall of Law